Bureau of Street Lighting
The City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works, Bureau of Street Lighting (BSL) is responsible for the design, construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of the City of Los Angeles' Street Lighting System. Specifically, BSL is responsible for the street light posts (metal, cement, etc). Problems with street light posts and outages should be reported to the City's 311 City Wide Services by dialing 3-1-1 within the City, or use the Bureau of Street Lighting Service Request Form.
Note: Many street lights are mounted on traffic signal posts. The City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation is responsible for the traffic signal while BSL is responsible for the street light.
Report an emergency situation (such as post knockdowns, posts hit, wires exposed, conduit damage, and hanging street light fixture or open covers) to BSL's Field Operations at (323) 913-4744 during the working hours of Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Fridays from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. During after hours and on weekends, please call the LADWP (see below).
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
LADWP is responsible for street lights mounted on wooden poles (referred to as street light mast arms) and Outdoor Area Lights (OALs). Problems with these street lights and OALs should be reported to the LADWP's Customer Contact Center by dialing 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397).
Also, as mentioned above, the LADWP responds to problems with street light posts, conduits, and fixtures for BSL after hours.
Be prepared with the following information when reporting street light problems/outages:
- Location: City, address and nearest intersection, geographical address (i.e. North of X street, 1 block west of X street, etc.)
- Problem: For example, the lights go off or are dim
- Type of Pole: Wooden, metal, or cement
- Contact: Caller's name and daytime phone number
Other Electric Trouble
Calls should be directed to the LADWP Customer Contact Center by dialing 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397).
- Street light posts (and combination street light and traffic signal posts) that are hit, damaged or destroyed by vehicles
- Damaged street light mast arms (lights mounted on wooden poles)
- If overhead street light conductors are down
- If underground street light conductors or conduit has been dug up or damaged
- If street light circuit access covers are off, exposing the conductors
- If there are any other problems related to Outdoor Area Lights
- LADWP's Electric Trouble Section responds to these jobs because they pose a hazard to the public. Temporary repairs on these calls will cause a repair memo to be generated and sent to the LADWP Streetlight Maintenance, BSL, or the appropriate Distribution Construction and Maintenance Construction District.