For single family residential services up to 320 amps, meter spots can now be requested online at Request a Meter Spot.

    For commercial services up to 400 amps, single phase, go to Small Commercial Electric Service Projects for submittal information.

    For services larger than 400 amps or three phase, go to Construction and Renovation - Electric Service Requests to submit your project.

    Refer to the spot diagram left by the Electric Service Representative (ESR), it may have alternative locations indicated on the drawing. If there are no alternatives shown, contact the ESR for your job. In some cases, there may not be an alternative location.

    For electrical outages, downed power lines, sparking wires, or other electrical emergencies, call 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397).

    Contact an Electric Service Representative (ESR). To find the ESR for your job, go to Find the Right Person.

    Contact the Electric Service Representative (ESR) for your address to check feasibility. Plans must be sent to the ESR. There are usually fees required if the LADWP must install underground conduit in public property. A contractor would be responsible for installing conduit on private property. The plans should include a site plan, load schedule, and a one-line drawing. Allow six (6) to eight (8) weeks for a Service Planning Engineer to determine exact installation costs.

    To submit your request for underground service, go to Construction and Renovation - Electric Service Requests.

    The LADWP now has an online system to help customers locate the right person for their job at Find the Right Person.

    The Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) website can direct customers to the appropriate inspector. The LADBS requires an electrical permit before an inspector can go to the jobsite.

    This value is the available short circuit current in amps from the LADWP serving transformer in the event of a ground fault at the service equipment. For single family residential services, mobile homes, or duplexes, this value is guaranteed at 10,000 amps for 200 amp services and 22,000 amps for 320 amp services. For all other services, this value must be calculated by either an Electric Service Representative (ESR) for small services or a Service Planning Engineer for large services and requires a submittal of plans.

    To submit your request for a fault current, go to Construction and Renovation - Electric Service Requests.

    When the fault current has been calculated, the value will be displayed online when a customer enters a job address, Work Request number, or Project ID number in Service Planning’s online tracking system at Track Electrical Service Installation Status.

    This will depend on the size and scope of the project. If no other LADWP work is needed but the meter installation, this will generally occur within 10 working days. Installation times will vary depending up the amount of service and distribution system work to be done by the LADWP crews.

    For a list of projects and time tables by job type, download the Guide to Electric Services.

    If the meter is for a new service, a billing application is required to turn the service on. Call the Customer Contact Center at 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397) to verify that a billing account has been established. In some cases, a safety related hold may be placed on the account. These holds must be resolved before the service can be turned on. To resolve a safety related hold on the account, contact an Electric Service Representative by going to Find the Right Person.

    Billing and payment related holds must be resolved by contacting the Customer Contact Center at 1-800-DIAL-DWP (1-800-342-5397) or visiting one of our Customer Service Centers.

    If a service is being upgraded and the existing LADWP service is adequate to handle the new electrical demand, there are generally no installation charges involved. For new or existing services which require conduit work in public property, transformer work, distribution line work, or street resurfacing, charges may be incurred. These jobs generally require a Service Planning Engineer to create a job and calculate possible charges. For a list of common charges associated with associated different projects, go to Charges and Fees.

    More information will be available at the quarterly webinars. For additional details, please go to Power New Business and Electrification Division Quarterly Webinars.