LADWP Claims Information

  1. If applicable, contact your insurance company; they are your direct insurer.
  2. Be specific about the incident: date, time, and location.
  3. You must be able to substantiate your loss. Be practical and reasonable.
  4. To document your claim, send copies of: bills, cancelled checks, receipts, invoices, etc. This is in your own interest.
  5. Fill out the following form and mail to the address below or file online.

             Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
             Attn: Claims Section
             221 N Figueroa Street, Suite 1640
             Los Angeles, CA 90012-2660


Note: This is not an admission of liability or a guarantee of payment by the LADWP.


Frequently Asked Questions

    Contact our Claims Department at (213) 367-4600, or email [email protected], and request a call back or information regarding receiving a Claim Form. A representative will review your claim information and forward a Claim Form to you.

    Alternatively, you may download a Claim Form and mail the completed form and supporting documentation to: 
    LADWP Claims Section 
    221 N. Figueroa Street, Suite 1640 
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

    Claims for death, injury to person or to personal property must be filed not later than six (6) months after the occurrence.(Government Code Section 911.2).

    All other claims for damages must be filed not later than one (1) year after the occurrence. (Government Code Section 911.2).

    LADWP Claims Investigation staff will investigate all claims in an objective and professional manner. Each claim will be evaluated on the evidence available and the outcome of our investigation. Our investigation may include, but is not limited to, evaluation of information you provide, interviewing employees and witnesses, visual inspection and appraisal of your alleged damage, site inspections, and when necessary, consultation with subject matter experts.

    Our goal is to reach a final decision on your claim within 30-45 days. However, if the incident is complex in nature, the investigation and evaluation period may take longer. At the conclusion of our investigation, you will receive either a letter or a call informing you of our decision.

    Generally, we are responsible for losses that occur due to our negligence, as defined by the California Government Code.

    Below we have listed types of claims and the corresponding documents that are generally needed to evaluate your alleged loss: 
    For Property Damage: 
    Repair estimates, invoices, photographs of damaged area, and proof of purchase.

    For Bodily Injury: 
    Copy of medical records and receipts for services rendered. If you are seeking lost wages due to an injury, we will also need the following information: the number of days/weeks you were off work, verification of lost time from your employer and pay stubs verifying your hourly rate of compensation.

    For Business Interruption: 
    Name and type of business, taxpayer identification number, revenue and expense statements, sales receipts prior to and following the incident, payroll records, bank statements and/ or tax records for the business.

    For Claims regarding Miscellaneous Losses: 
    Hotel and restaurant receipts, car rental receipts, etc.

    For Claims Regarding Food Loss: 
    Itemized list detailing spoiled food, with receipts or documentation of cost.

    Alternatively, you may refer your loss to your insurance carrier who may reimburse you subject to policy coverage. Your insurance carrier may choose to contact LADWP to resolve the matter. 

    Subject to certain exceptions, you have only six (6) months from the date of the written notice of rejection of your claim to file a court action. (Government Code Section 945.6).

    If written notice of rejection of your claim is not given, you have two (2) years from the accrual of the cause of action to file a court action. (Government Code Section 945.6).